About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Sunday, October 6, 2019

FIVE YEARS AGO TODAY. MARK HERRING.



David --

Five years ago today the U.S. Supreme Court gave same-sex couples in Virginia the right to marry and made marriage equality the law of our Commonwealth. 

I’ll never forget that day -- in fact, when I look back at my career, helping to bring marriage equality to Virginia is one of the things I’m most proud of. 

Everyone should be able to enjoy the blessings of marriage -- and today as we reflect back on that wonderful day five years ago, I hope we can take stock of all of the hard work it took to get there.

So many courageous people and organizations made marriage equality possible -- it wasn’t easy, but in the end, love and equality prevailed. 

It’s not often in politics that we get to celebrate a fundamental change that brings so much joy to so many. Today, five years later, it's incredible to see how much progress we’ve made since that day -- but there’s still more to be done. 

As Democrats, we must continue to fight against discrimination in all of its forms and commit ourselves to ensuring every Virginian, and every American, is given equal protection under the law. 

In closing, I’d like to remind my fellow Virginians that no matter who you choose to marry, where you came from, what you look like, or how you choose to express yourself, this Commonwealth welcomes you. You belong here. 

Thanks for reading this note -- have a great rest of your Sunday.
-Mark
Contribute to One Commonwealth PAC

No comments:

Post a Comment