About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Children. CONGRESSIONAL CANDIDATE KEN HARBAUGH.

David,

I celebrated Father’s Day this week with my children. As a father and a Christian, I am grateful everyday for the blessings of my family.

But these past few days have been full of stories of other families and children, daughters and sons separated from their parents at our border.

We are a nation founded on laws. And we must secure this land.

But we are also a nation founded on values. And we must live with integrity, courage, and humanity.

This crisis has been fueled in part by years of congressional inaction. If our Congress can’t come together now and protect young children, what can they do?

And if my opponent, Bob Gibbs, will not even talk about these children, what will he do? Time and again, Bob Gibbs is silent in the face of suffering.  

If he is waiting for political cover, he has it. Faith leader Franklin Graham, Former First Lady Laura Bush, Senator Ted Cruz, Governor John Kasich, and Senator Orrin Hatch are just a few members of Gibbs’ own party who have stepped up, stepped forward, and condemned the separation of children from their parents at the border.

But it should not take political cover to do the right thing. Our Congressman should have the wisdom to act.

Courage. Integrity. Humanity. These are the values of the nation I risked my life to defend. I agree with Laura Bush: we must find “a kinder, more compassionate and more moral answer to this current crisis.”

And we must do it now.

In service,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment