About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Photos from this weekend’s March to Demand Action on Gun Violence. CONGRESSIONAL CANDIDATE PAT RYAN.

Hi David -- What an amazing weekend. My team and I marched on Saturday with students, parents, teachers, and activists to send a message to our current Representative John Faso, who has taken $45K from the NRA and has been silent on the issue of making our schools, churches, and streets safer. We collected dozens of letters along the way from high school students and activists and delivered them to his office to demand that he take action on the gun violence epidemic we face.
 
We started at the FDR House in Hyde Park and finished at Rep. Faso’s office in Kingston with truly an amazing turnout. Thanks to Hudson Valley Stands UpNew Yorkers Against Gun Violence, and Karen Smythe for NYS Senate for standing with us!
 
 
My parents walked alongside me for the first stretch of the march. My mom is a retired Kingston Elementary School teacher and one of the reasons I hold this issue so close to my heart. Here’s a photo of us on the Walkway Over the Hudson.
 
 
I’m inspired by the leadership from students at Hudson Valley Stands Up who came out to march and speak during the middle of their finals week.
 
 
Here’s a photo of my incredible wife Rebecca who marched the entire way with me and my team. I’m so lucky to have a partner so driven and dedicated to fighting for a better world. Couldn’t do this without her. Love you Rebecca!
 
 
There were some truly powerful signs made my activists at Saturday’s march. Here are a few that made an impact on me:
 
 
 
 
Here’s a photo of us making our way to Rosendale. Our interns Evan, Eli and Niall marched with us the entire 30 miles. They led walkouts at their high school to demand action on gun violence. I’m so grateful to have these three on our team fighting for change in our community.
 
 
A lot of politicians will talk the talk on gun violence, but our campaign is the only one walking the walk. When we reached Faso’s office, we were met with cheers from activists waiting to rally with us. Students from Hudson Valley Stands Up spoke at our rally. You can watch a video of their speeches here.
 
We’ve reached a moment in our country where we have an opportunity to take action on the issue of gun violence. Over 60% of Americans want to reinstate the Federal assault weapons ban, but our country is lacking leaders with the moral courage to put an end to the violence.
 
Now just [D-06] from our primary here in NY-19. We’re pushing hard this last week. If you’d like to join in our efforts, reach out. We can’t do this without you.
 
Thanks and talk soon,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment