About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Shocking but true -- 100-round double-drum magazines are legal in WA. BOB FERGUSON.


David,

Did you know that the same double-drum 100-round magazine used by the mass murderer in Dayton to kill 9 individuals and wound 26 more in just thirty seconds is legal to purchase and own in Washington state?

I'm working to change that. 

As the people’s lawyer, I take my job to protect the people of our state seriously. That means doing what’s right, regardless of political threats or special interests. That means taking on issues that some people think are too controversial, like gun safety. We owe it to our children, to the survivors of gun violence, and to the families of those who have been killed to do better.
   
I’m proud of the progress we have made in Washington state. My legal team beat the NRA in court and successfully defended our state’s universal background check law. We proposed the legislation that became I-1639, which I was proud to support. We beat President Trump in court and blocked the widespread dissemination of 3D-printed gun files. We helped pass legislation to ban undetectable “ghost guns” in Washington state.

But I’m frustrated with our state's shortcomings. Three years ago, I became the first statewide elected official to propose a ban on the sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. For three years, I’ve worked closely with dedicated legislators and community leaders to propose legislation to ban the sale and ownership of that same double-drum 100-round magazine used in Dayton to kill 9 individuals in just thirty seconds-- but we haven’t moved it through the legislature.

It is past time that our elected leaders take action for the safety of our communities. I’ve made a promise to keep proposing this legislation until it passes. In the wake of the mass shootings we’ve seen 255 times this year alone, it’s more important than ever to commit ourselves to the mission of reducing gun violence. 

Like you, I am devastated to see the images and hear the stories from Dayton and El Paso. That's why I won’t stop fighting -- not in the face of political attacks or lack of action from our elected officials. I will keep working for common-sense reforms as long as I am in office.

Bob




No comments:

Post a Comment