About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Monday, December 19, 2022

A LOGIC PUZZLE FROM QUORA.COM

 

"Yeah, there’s actually one I know about, but have been hesitant to talk about it. But, I think now would be a good time to go public with this knowledge..."

I won't get into the factual basis for this claim, other commentators took care of that, but it is a good example of how Logic can be used, or misused, often with a negative impact on the Truth.

By Definition, if we accept the conclusion that “nobody knows” as true, then any answer that claims “to know” must be false.

Let’s put it this way: Suppose I say: “No one knows this, but a Giant Anteater lives in my basement.”

Obviously, to say “No one Knows….” can’t be true if I am making a Truthful Assertion, because I know.

If I say; “No one but me knows” I am now left with the following: Proving that such knowledge is possessed only by me. Even if the claim about the Giant Anteater is true, and I have never told anyone else, it does not necessarily follow that only I know.

What if my claim was: “A Giant Anteater lives in my basement, and it is impossible for anyone else to have this knowledge.”

However, that does me no good. I am left with the problem of proving that I, and only I, could have acquired this knowledge.

The Point: When you make a statement asserting something to be factual, be prepared to properly defend it.

Donald Trump, and his “Supporters” have spent the last half-dozen or so years making “EMPTY ASSERTIONS,” AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT. What you see above is an example to guide you into not accepting, as factual, statements that are Logically Invalid.

No comments:

Post a Comment