About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Saturday, March 25, 2023

" THE DESRICK ON YANDRO." SOME CLASSIC FICTION HITS THE MARK, AND WE SHOULD PAY ATTENTION.

                                                                 PICTURE FROM PODTAIL.


EXCERPTS FROM THE STORY "THE DESRICK ON YANDRO."

BY MANLY WADE WELLMAN.

(TWO MEN CLIMB A HILL CALLED YANDRO. THE HILL HAS A DESRICK

LOCATED AT THE TOP. YET BOTH MEN ARE VERY DIFFERENT. THESE ARE TAKEN FROM THE

END OF THE STORY.)



"That's it," puffed Mr. Yandro. "The desrick."


I looked at him then, and knew what most he wanted on this earth. He wanted to be boss. Money was just something to greaten him. His idea of greatness was bigness. He wanted to do all the talking, and have everybody else do the listening. He had his eyes hung on that desrick, and he licked his lips, like a cat over a dish of cream.


"Let's go in," he said.


"Not where I'm not invited," I told him, as flatly as anybody could ever tell him. "I said I'd come to the top. This is the top."


"Come with me," he said. "My name's Yandro. This mountain's name is Yandro. I can buy and sell every man, woman and child in this part of the country. If I say it's all right to go into a house, it's all right to go into a house."


He meant that thing. The world and everybody in it was just there to let him walk on. He took a step toward the desrick...Mr. Yandro snorted at me, to show how small he reckoned me because I held back, and he headed toward the big door."If she's there, she'll show me the gold," he said.


=====================================================================



A few observations about the Narrators companion.



He wants to be boss.


A Man who wants to do the talking, and everyone

else do the listening.


If he says it's all right...it's all right. 



Take these observations for what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment