About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Sunday, June 2, 2019

THIS WEEKEND, WE MOURN. JENNIFER WEXTON.


David, my heart is heavy this weekend as Virginia Beach and the entire Commonwealth grieve for the victims of Friday’s mass shooting.

12 innocent people were murdered in a gun attack that involved a .45 silencer and multiple extended magazines. At a time when the NRA wants to expand access to silencers, we need to stop them. And we must recommit to our efforts to ban high capacity magazines.

Tragedies like this shouldn’t be the new normal. It’s long past time for us to party politics aside, reject the influence of the NRA, and pass common-sense policies that will reduce gun violence.

We can start with H.R. 8, which establishes universal background checks. The House passed this in the spring, but the Senate has yet to act. I renew my call today for them to do so.

The measures we’re proposing won’t stop every shooting. But we have to try. We owe it to every American to make our workplaces, schools, concerts, shopping malls, and communities safer.

Today, I mourn. Tomorrow, I will continue pushing for policies to end gun violence, and I won’t stop.

Thank you,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment