About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Monday, December 12, 2016

LOGIC. THE FALLACY OF THE EXCLUDED MIDDLE, OR THE "ALL OR NOTHING" MINDSET. PT 1.


Library, Book, Reading, Computers

Perhaps the best way to Introduce this Common Logical Fallacy, is to take an example from everyday life. Why? Because in one Form, it is an Insidious Example of Psychological Blackmail.

-  Person # 1-  "I know John Doe is your friend, but every Time I Talk to him, he puts me down and Insults my Career Choice."

-  Person # 2-  "You just don't get it.  Its his way of Socializing.  He doesn't mean it.  Just Ignore Him, and he'll stop."

-  Person # 1-  "I've Tried that, but he won't stop. You and I have been friends for a long Time, but I don't want to Deal with him anymore.  If you are going to meet him, I can't come with you.  He doesn't Treat me Right, and I won't give him the chance to Ruin my Night."


Person # 2-  "So that's it Huh?  I have to give up John as a Friend, or you and I can't hang out anymore?  How  Immature."


Person # 1-  "I never said that.  All I said was that I don't want to be around John, because of the way he treats me. We can still do things Together.  We're still Friends."

Person # 2-  "No Way.  John is my Friend, and we get along just find.  I don't know what your problem is, but if you don't like John, than it means you don't really like me.  Either your Johns Friend Too, and we can all hang out together, or your not. If you don't like Him, it really means you Hate us both."



Does this sound Familiar?  How many of you have had such a conversation in the past?  Well, it may be Little Comfort, but at least the Irrationality of such Thinking can give a little Solace.  What do I Mean?


See Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment