About Me

My photo
SEEKONK, MASSACHUSETTS, United States

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

THIS MOMENT IN OUR COUNTRY. MAURA SULLIVAN.

David,

I hope this finds you healthy and well during this challenging time for our country and for each of our families.

I ran for office to bring the values of courage, integrity, and empathy––values instilled in me as a United States Marine––to our government. Like many of us, I have been reflecting recently on the values we see in our country’s leadership and the unprecedented moment we find ourselves in––grappling with a global pandemic that has killed more than 170,000 Americans and a president that is engaging in actions that simply aren’t normal. Sadly, we see racial injustice throughout our country amidst a significant economic downturn, all as we continue to combat the increasing effects of climate change. Our country and our politics have become cripplingly divisive and our own allies who once revered us for our leadership role in the world, now question whether they can count on us at all.

We are at a dark moment in our country’s history. But I am writing today to tell you that I still have hope. 

Since I last reached out, I have been working hard to elect candidates who share our values up and down the ballot in New Hampshire and around the country. 

Through hosting town halls, house parties, fundraisers, and by knocking on doors for myriad candidates in New Hampshire, I am optimistic due to the grassroots energy for change that I am seeing throughout our state.

In January of this year, I joined the campaign of my good friend Mayor Pete Buttigieg as one of his presidential campaign co-chairs in New Hampshire during our historic First in the Nation Primary. At a time when the president continues to try to divide us, I believed in Pete to call us to the values that have made America not just a world power but a world leader.

In May, I was honored to be asked by the leadership of the New Hampshire Democratic Party to serve as the Co-chair for our New Hampshire Democratic Party State Convention, and was proud to lead a convention where over 3,000 Democrats from around the Granite State participated virtually. 
And just this past week, I was proud to cast my vote for Vice-President Biden as an elected New Hampshire Delegate to the Democratic National Convention. When I served in the Obama Administration, I had a number of opportunities to see the Vice-President’s leadership and values up close. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris will bring us out of this dark period in our country’s history and restore the soul of our great nation. 

In the 68 days until the election, I will be working hard toward electing leaders that embody the values that I ran on in 2018 and ensuring that every New Hampshire citizen who is eligible has the ability to vote. I will continue to co-chair the New Hampshire Democratic Party’s Veterans & Military Families Caucus and will campaign throughout New Hampshire for the Biden/Harris ticket and for our local candidates. 
I would love to share some of the work we are doing with you in the coming weeks and to let you know how you can get involved. 

Thank you,
Maura Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment